Seacourt is one of the earliest DMVs to be excavated in Berkshire. Initial excavations in 1937-9 seem to have taken place in the ‘original nucleus’ of the village, finding domestic structures, medieval pits and part of the village church.  The site has also produced Roman pottery implying a farm or hamlet nearby, whilst pottery of the tenth-twelfth century must represent the first stages of the medieval village.  The village site seems to have been bordered by Marleywood Plantation on the west and Wytham or Seacourt stream on the east.  The second phase of excavations in 1958-9, in advance of the construction of the Oxford Western by-pass was focussed on the central area of the earthworks.  This included the main north-south street that runs along the length of the area given over to the by-pass.  The 1958-9 excavations revealed evidence of structures no earlier than mid-late twelfth century suggesting that this area was a late twelfth-thirteenth-century extension from the original village core.  In 1959 rapid recording was undertaken of the fuller area of the main street uncovered in advance of road construction.  Wooden buildings in the village seem to have been replaced by stone-built houses, probably in the first half of the fourteenth century.  The site did not reveal evidence of the typical longhouse with animals under the same roof. Instead houses were simple one or two-roomed cottages.  The pottery sequence seems to come to an end by the late fourteenth century, suggesting desertion had occurred by c. 1400.  The excavations did not manage to locate tenth-twelfth-century activity at the site but the presence of pottery supports documentary references to an earlier phase of settlement.  Later excavations at the site in 1987 revealed further settlement remains west of the by-pass,  whilst analysis of aerial photographs has shown another main north-south hollow way surviving in this area. In total at least nine house platforms have been identified. 
The documentary evidence suggests that the Domesday vill of Seacourt was reasonably populous, whilst in contrast only three tax payers were recorded in 1327 and 1332, [5, 6] and the vill’s 1334 Lay Subsidy assessment also seems low, perhaps suggesting contraction before the Black Death. The estimated desertion of the site by c. 1400 is supported by a letter dated 1439 which notes that the church had collapsed and only two buildings remained occupied in the village.  It has been suggested that Seacourt’s decline could be linked to the rising prosperity of nearby Oxford. 
Appears in the Gazetteer of Deserted Medieval Villages known in 1968.References: Bruce Mitford, R.L.S. 1940. ‘The Excavations at Seacourt, Berks, 1939: an Interim Report’, Oxoniensia 5: 31-41.
 Biddle, M. 1961-2. ‘The Deserted Medieval Village of Seacourt, Berkshire’, Oxoniensia 26/27: 70-201.
 Oxfordshire HER Record No. 2356.
 NMR Pastscape Record No. 336317.
 The National Archives E179/73/6 rot 13.
 The National Archives E179/73/7 rot 13d.
 Scheduled Monument List Entry 30830.Pre-1974 county:BerkshireHistoric parish:SeacourtPresent county or unitary area:OxfordshireModern parish:WythamGrid reference:SP 486 074Latitude:51.763631Longitude:-1.296446