Image

Binsey drainage (and culverts)

Binsey Drainage

Advertisements
Image

King’s Weir (now lock) 1910

kings weir 1910

http://www.visitthames.co.uk/about-the-river/river-thames-locks/kings-lock

“Kings is a modern version of Kingisweire – kin meaning cattle.  In 1289 a weir and fish traps were recorded on the current site.  It wasn’t until 1928 that the pound lock, which is still in use today, was built to replace a flash lock.  To celebrate its 80th anniversary and to improve facilities for all our visitors we decided to extend the lock office with an experimental building.  Designed to test carbon saving construction techniques it has car tyre foundations and straw bale walls. We intend to use some or all of these techniques and materials elsewhere on the Thames once we have evaluated the success of this project.  The building has been funded by the Environment Agency’s Carbon Reduction Fund to offset some of the carbon we produce when carrying out our functions.”

Historic Floods in Oxford

http://oxfordhistory.org.uk/floods/index.html

There was bad flooding in 1903 (June), 1947 (March), 1954 (November), 1959, 1979 (December), 1998 (Easter), 2007 (July), and 2014 (January). Flooding in Oxford was much worse before 1900, as until then the locks were built not to let down the water but to keep it back, so that the flood plains nearly always flooded after heavy rain. They often remained permanently flooded in winter, and when they froze it was possible to skate for miles across the fields above and below Oxford

 

N.B. The height of the floods 1947

Anatated reference photo

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw003970?ref=0